BTW, it occurs to me that we have had this discussion before. There being
nothing in the routing table indicating IGRP or EIGRP hop counts, how does
(E)IGRP "know" the diameter of the network of which it is a member? And why
would it "care"? ;->

Maybe one of these days I'll daisy chain the routers in my lab, and set the
max hops to 4 and see what happens ;->

Chuck

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> At 08:05 PM 2/21/02, Chuck wrote:
> >to augment the other answers, the IP hop count is really the IP TTL
value.
> >It can never exceed 255
>
> You're confusing two issues.
>
> Remember the router has two jobs: forwarding packets and learning the
> topology. Hop count has to do with the latter and affects what goes in the
> routing table. The IP TTL causes a router to drop a packet before
> forwarding if the TTL becomes zero.
>

> >EIGRP defaults to 100 hops, so I would expect that the routing packet IP
TTL