It should say "show ip eigrp topology network." Network is the argument to
the command. I had it encapsulated in less than and greater than symbols so
it got munged by the mail server. Argh.....

There's probably other ways to see the hop count too. Bottom line: the
router saves it. You just have to get the router to tell it to you.

At 02:25 PM 2/22/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>At 12:56 AM 2/22/02, Chuck wrote:
> >BTW, it occurs to me that we have had this discussion before.
>
>Yes, unfortunately. ;-)
>
> >There being
> >nothing in the routing table indicating IGRP or EIGRP hop counts,
>
>You can't see the hop count with show ip route perhaps, but the router
>certainly saves the info. Try the show ip eigrp  command. It shows
>the hop count.
>
> >how does
> >(E)IGRP "know" the diameter of the network of which it is a member?
>
>It's basic distance vector processing.
>
>I receive a packet that lists a network as being 0 hops away. (The router
>listing it is directly connected.) From my point of view, then, the network
>is 1 hop away. When I advertise this network, I say that it is 1 hop away.
>My "downstream neighbor" considers it 2 hops away.
>
>When I add 1 to the hop count, if that causes the hop count to exceed
>"maximum hop count," then I trash the route and don't advertise it.
>
> >  And why
> >would it "care"? ;->
>
>Now, that's a good question. But why does any routing protocol care?
>

> >Maybe one of these days I'll daisy chain the routers in my lab, and set
the
> >max hops to 4 and see what happens ;->
>
>Just set the max to something smaller than the actual width. You'll see
>routes disappear.
>

> >Chuck
> >

> >""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >value.
> > >
> > > You're confusing two issues.
> > >
> > > Remember the router has two jobs: forwarding packets and learning the
> > > topology. Hop count has to do with the latter and affects what goes in
>the
> > > routing table. The IP TTL causes a router to drop a packet before
> > > forwarding if the TTL becomes zero.

IP
> >TTL
> > >
> > > Routing packets only go to neighbors. The IP TTL should be set to one
or
> > > two. This has nothing to do with hop count which will be later in the
> > > packet in the distance vectors.

>supplied
>an
> >metrics.
>an
> > >
> > > The router was advertising a directly-connected network.

> >the
> > >
> > > In terms of forwarding maybe. You better reconsider routing protocols
> > > though...
> > >
> > > Priscilla

>value,
> > > but