1. Hopefully someone else will tell you the answer to this one as I have no
idea what the benefit is.

2.  The cost dosen't have to be the same.  The router will report it's own
calculated cost to the neighbor based on it's cost because it's directly
connected to it.  So if you have:

RA------RB (s0)------(s0) RC (e0)___|

If router C considers it's S0 link to be a cost of 20000 and Router B
considers the same link to be 1000, then RA will receive link to be based on
RB's calculation.  But router A will receive Router C's e0 link as based on
the cost of Rc's calculation of the link.

3.  According to RFC 2328, it's the router ID which is used in the
master/slave determination.  I tested it and it is the Router ID.

4.  I believe you are correct in your explanation.

5.  I believe they both mean Database Descriptor Packet.

--

RFC 1149 Compliant.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].;