At 08:59 AM 3/4/02, bergenpeak wrote:
>1) A loopback address is normally advertised by OSPF as a host route.
>The command "ip ospf network point-to-point" enables one to specify
>that the interface should be advertised as a subnet route.  What are
>the benefits for doing this?

I can't imagine any benefits. Where did you find this info??

I do see some mention in RFC 2328 of using a host versus a subnet for the
Link ID. "On point-to-point networks, if the neighbor's IP address is
known, set the Link ID of the Type 3 link to the neighbor's IP address, and
the Link Data
to the mask 0xffffffff (indicating a host route).... If a subnet has been
assigned to the point-to-point link, set the Link ID of the Type 3 link to
the subnet's IP address, and the Link Data to the subnet's mask..."

>2) Must a link cost be the same on for all routers that share the
>link?  Is there a protocol reason for this?  Some other reason?

I couldn't find anything in RFC 2328 that says that two routers connected
to a link MUST agree on the cost. The RFC writers use the term MUST
carefully. If it were required, they would put it in the RFC.

I think it would be a good idea to make them agree, though....

>3) In the Exstart phase, how is the master selected?  Chappel's
>book says RID while Doyle's say highest interface IP address.  Which
>is it?

The router with the higher Router ID becomes the master.

>4) I'm somewhat unclear on the Exchange and the Loading states.  When
>a router goes into Exchange state, does it send all DDPs it knows
>about before processing any DDPs received from other adjancent
>neighbors?

I think so, but I've never thought about the database synchronization
issues associated with a router that is a neighbor to many routers. My
guess is that it can only be in the exchange state with one router at a
time. Otherwise it would be exchanging database info with one router as the
info was being updated  by another router??

>Thus, a router goes into Exchange state, sends all DDPs it knows about,
>then goes into Loading state, where it issues LSRs for LSAs it wants
>more
>details on?  Is this the process?

Sounds right. See the RFC for the details.

>5) Is there a difference between DBD and DDP packets?

I would avoid the term DDP, since it means Datagram Delivery Protocol to
AppleTalk people. ;-)

>Thanks

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com