>One thing to remember is that OSPF costs are calculated
>unidirectionally.  For example, A's cost to C could be very different from
>C's cost to A.  In general, IP traffic has to be engineered in both
>directions and it for some networks asymmetry in flow might make sense.  I
>can't think of a reason off hand while watching a hockey game, but
>experience has taught me that many odd looking designs are rooted in
>rational, informed theory.
>
>Pete

There's a whole class of applications for this sort of thing, and
indeed there is a Unidirectional Link Routing group in the IETF for
dealing with them.  Much of the leading research work is in France,
where practical applications deal with using high-bandwidth satellite
links in one direction to deliver educational content to Africa, and
a low-speed terrestrial return link for acknowledgements.

>At 04:05 PM 3/4/2002 -0500, Ouellette, Tim wrote:
>>I have a question regarding # 2.
>>
>>let's say both routera and router b are connected and advertising the link
>>between them to router c.  The connection from routera to routerc is a 64k
>>frame circuit.  The link betwen routerb and routerc is a 64k ISDN (1 b).
If
>>routera advertises the network between itself and routerb with a cost of
10,
>>and routerb advertises that same network with a cost of 100.  All other
>>things being equal when routerc gets the two updates, he will prefer to
take
>>the frame circuit towards routera to get to that network. Why would anyways
>>want this? What if the circuit between routerb and routerc was a backup
ISDN