Can you send us your configs. In theory, Cisco's RIP is supposed to do a
triggered update. When R1 loses its connection it should advertise the
network as unreachable (16 hops). This should put the route into holddown
on the other routers. I'm wondering if you've got some sort of weird
configs that's causing non-standard behavior.

Also are you using RIPv1 or RIPv2. Maybe some of the debug tools only work
with RIPv1??

Also, remember my cynical comment. The debug tools are to help Cisco QA
debug the software, not to help network administrators troubleshoot. ;-) I
think you said these were connected via Ethernet which means you could
easily put a protocol analyzer on the network(s) and figure out what's
really going on. Try Ethereal. It's freeeee.

Priscilla

At 03:27 PM 3/6/02, Jerry P. wrote:
>Hi Scott:
>
>Ok so I did what you said, shutdown R1 and enable debug ip routing on R3, I
>waited for 5 minutes and got no output whatsoever:
>
>r3#debug ip routing
>IP routing debugging is on
>r3#
>
>So I cleared ip route * and got this:
>
>r3#clear ip route *
>r3#
>02:26:26: RT: add 193.1.1.0/24 via 0.0.0.0, connec
>02:26:26: RT: add 192.1.1.0/24 via 193.1.1.1, rip
>02:26:29: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1
>
>Debug ip rip works on this, it's just that nothing happens with debug ip
>routing?  What the heck?!!!

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com