>I am a technical reviewer for a book, and someone wrote that TCP/IP was
>written by the Depertment of Defense.  I am confident that ARPAnet was
>commissiond by the DoD in the 60's to BBN, and maybe TCP/IP was derived from
>these early protocls, but to say the the DoD, or BBN or anyone other than
>the Internet community wrote TCP and IP would be incorrect, right?  I seem
>to remember that IP was used in ArpaNet, but not TCP.  I thought TCP was
>written in various universities.  I could even look up the couple (who used
>to work at Cisco) who wrote it.

Well, the first problem would be to define "Internet Community,"
which always has had research participants at government labs.

The first widely available reference implementation of TCP/IP was in
Berkeley UNIX 4.2.  Subnets were introduced in 4.3.  IP and TCP were
developed roughly at the same time.

While Vint Cerf wrote the specification for TCP, I vaguely remember
that Dan Lynch may have written the code. I'm honestly not sure. It
definely was not Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner.

Yes, there were ARPANET protocols that preceded TCP/IP.

You must remember, however, that in the early days, much of the
academic work was funded by government (mostly military ARPA) grants
and contracts.

BBN had the non-trivial job of herding cats...I mean running the network.