>ARPA managers were irritated by the lack of communications between diverse
>systems and the need to learn many arcane command languages to talk to each
>system.
>
>Priscilla

But ARPANET just gave you the pipes. You still had to use CP/CMS on
the 360/67, MULTICS on the Honeywells, NCP CLI on the Vaxen, JCL or
TSO on the other 360s and 370s, EXEC 8 language on the 1108s, etc....

I will agree that the incompatible communications _protocols_ were an
issue, but ARPANET did nothing to solve command language
compatibility.