I would choose the trunking method of connecting switches
over the daisy chain. The 5 switches can be trunked to the
bottom basement switch, yielding less delay and providing a
smoother convergence for STP. If you want redundant links,
use a 2nd switch in the basement and apply 2nd links from the
basement switch's to the floor switch's. You can either have
seperate vlans or one flat vlan network, altho I'd choose a vlan
per floor with 10bt to prevent broadcast from slowing the whole
network down.

Larry Letterman
Cisco Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I might question the ability of the aggregation switch
> buffering the data from 5 switches while passing data to
> the router....

My biggest concern is the lack of redundancy in this design.  If the
basement switch goes out then the entire company is down.

I have a Cat 4006 or 5500 on each of the floors.  I utilize a daisy-chain
approach with Gig Ethernet over fiber.  This way if any one switch fails
it'll only take out one floor.  You'll want a lot of redundancy in your
server room switch because if it goes out, then once again, your entire
network is down.