> over the daisy chain. The 5 switches can be trunked to the
> bottom basement switch, yielding less delay and providing a
> smoother convergence for STP. If you want redundant links,

I don't see why STP delay would be an issue; perhaps you are referring to
ethernet traffic?  With a Gig backbone my trunk utilization is under 2%.
There is only one blocked link (top floor to basement).  Regardless of
approach, there will be a 30 second delay if you use backbonefast.

Separate VLANs per floor would be be nice but redesigning the network isn't
an option right now.  They just went from public IP's to a single /16
network last year.