From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 10:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: My interview story [7:40553]

>Why would you want to work for a place with such stupid
>interviews in the first place?  If they select their employees
>based on how they play "Stranded in the Desert" or whatever the
>heck that was, then it's probably best you don't work there.
>I'm sure the management there is awful.
>
>Stuff like that is a sure sign their managers have too much
>time on their hands, and there's almost nothing worse than a
>clueless manager with too much time.
>
>Someone needs to send those managers a Dilbert calendar!
>
>I'm sorry to hear it didn't go well, but you should forget
>about them and move on to a better company.
>
>John

I have a friend that used to work in Schlumberger as a technical
patent paralegal, and she loved the place. Don't know how typical her
experience or yours is, but I can check with her to see if this is
anything she's heard.

I'm not totally opposed, incidentally, to tests like that IF THERE IS
ALSO SOLID TECHNICAL INTERVIEWING, and the job needs good
communications skills (the introduction) and possibly the ability to
handle multiple items under stress (the desert). I do believe when
you play with peoples' heads like this, it's only fair that the
interviewers explain what they were trying to learn.

When I'm interviewing people, I suppose I ask some questions that are
intended to help me learn the way the candidate thinks. For example,
once we've talked a bit and I have a pretty good knowledge of their
background, I pose a problem to them that I'm fairly sure they can't
answer. I tell them that I don't expect them to give me a correct
answer, but to explain to me how they would approach getting
information and coming up with a solution.  That tells me a couple of
things -- are they willing to say "I don't know," and "But this is
how I'll find out."

I also tend to ask "ok, tell me what you do that's weird.  In this
business, there has to be something."  Again, it tests flexibility
and communication.