I have seen it happen in lab environments.  For the most part, it isn't
pretty.  It's the worst with OSPF as it isn't possible to get to 100k+
prefixes in ISIS (cap is 32k I believe due to LSP sizes & max
fragments)  In my lab, I had to reboot all my cisco devices (4700's,
7513's, 2600's & access servers)  Some simply locked or rebooted
themselves, others became inoperable.  Further, one needs to purge the
LSA's from the LSDB, otherwise, they will continue to try and flood which
makes the problem hard to fix when your originating router doesn't accept
commands from the cli :)