It is absolutely not what people do, at least they better not be doing that.
Think about this.  The current BGP route table is about 100,000 routes.  If
you want redundancy, that means multiple routers as ASBR's, and if you're
talking OSPF as an IGP, then each ASBR then has to generate a type-5 LSA for
each of those BGP routes.   Therefore that means having hundreds of
thousands of type-5 LSA's running around on your network - can you imagine?
Just thinking about it makes me shudder.  Of course you might say that you
might try to summarize those LSA's by using totally stubby areas.  Well,
first of all that doesn't exactly help your core (area 0 can't be stubby),
and second of all if you were going to use default routes anyway (via
totally stubby ABR's), then why not forgo redistribution completely and just
have your ASBR's inject defaults?