Steve,

If it is optimal routing that your after, I would think that you could still
have your some of your internal 3600's or 2600's run BGP with your 2 gateway
routers, but just don't send the full internet routing table to them.  For
instance, you could possibly put up as-path filters to allow only your local
ISP's and their respective customer's routes to be passed to your internal
routers that sit immediately behind your 2 gateway routers.   That way your
outbound traffic will have at least some routing information to make a
decision.  While this setup is not as optimal as having a full internet
routing table, I would think this would allow for more optimal routing then
just using defaults.  I have customers at my work with 3600's with
appropriate amount of memory that are multihomed handling 30,000+ routes
from each provider comfortably.

greg