I disagree that most ISP's block the following:

tcp or udp 135 (mapping)
tcp or udp 137 (NetBIOS Name Service)
udp 138 (NetBIOS datagrams - the actual data)
tcp 139 (NetBIOS Session)

Any more than they block the rest of it.  If they did, for one thing, your
firewalls wouldn't be blocking this stuff every minute as the script kiddies
aim their pre-written tools at massive netblocks.  Furthermore they would
have to state this in their service agreements.  I can tell you for a fact
that Sprint, XO, New Edge (who bought @Work), MCI/UUNET, PSI, QWEST, and
AT&T (not including the cable modem market - that is another story) do not
block this traffic from/to customer networks.

Cable providers do have a nasty habit of blocking udp 500 (isakmp) but that
is for financial reasons (they want you to pay for "business class" service
if you use a VPN.)

That doesn't mean that they don't block it (NetBIOS) from their own servers,
as most sane people would/should/do - but if they blocked their customers,
however foolish, from doing this they would be violating service agreements.

--
James D. Wilson, CCDA, MCP
Sr. Network/Security Engineer