From: x [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 8:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 4006 Power Supplies [7:41257]

Jeff,
We just bought a Cisco 4006 switch.  Our reseller and
our Cisco rep both told us we need two power supplies
to run it and one for redundancy.  They both went on
to say the power supply is the first thing to go.
They sold me on it so I got all three power supplies.

I got the switch a few weeks ago and I threw in the
two 10/100 blades and the extra power supply.  I
unplugged one power supply and it still seemed fine.
I decide to unplug another and leave only one running
just to see if it would die.  It ran for 30 minutes
until I decided to plug it back in, keep in mind I
didn't have anything attached at the time.

I am guessing if you really wanted to you could get
away with one, but when your spending that much(think
it was around $14k to $15k) an extra $600 or so to
protect your investment is no big deal.  I also like
the fact that if two powersupplies die it will still
probably run and I can take my time replacing them.  A
good night's sleep is worth $600 to me.

--- Jeffrey Reed  wrote:
> Im trying to understand power redundancy in the
> Cisco 4006 switch. Reading
> through the online information, Cisco seems to imply
> you must have at least
> two power supplies up and running at all times. The
> 3rd power supply
> provides redundancy. Other vendors allow you to run
> at least a partially
> populated chassis on one power supply. If I have a
> 4006 with SUPII and one
> 48-port blade, do I really need three power
> supplies? Anyone have experience
> with 4006s and power supplies?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Jeffrey Reed