A fair amount of people who focused their academic pursuits on "natural
sciences"/mathematics work in the private sector. Some of them have jobs
which apply concepts & concrete knowledge that was part of their curriculum.
Some of them pusued a masters because they could actually learn something
about their field of interest (which can be profoundly hard to do within
undergrad programs) or it helped advance their pursuit of compensation or
responsibility. Some really competent Masters students opted to not pursue
PhDs because of the prospects of divorce and minimal returns based on their
current job status.  If they can't pass the quals, I'm not sure the
conferring of the Masters is in order. Conversely, there are PLENTY of good
reasons to NOT let someone in a PhD. program even if they CAN or DO pass
their quals.

I've encountered plenty of cases where better experiences can be had with
Mathematics BS grads than CS MS grads, because the math folk don't assume
that four years of algorithms & programming (and ponentially many other
topics except real-world microcomputer-based support & networking
issues-diclaimer, I'm aware that that is changing at the painfully slow pace
that most curriculms adhere to when reforming themselves, but the damage is
done) entitle them to godlike status where their intuitions concerning
technologies, formal systems and issues that they have had NO PRACTICAL
experience with are concerned. As far as the CS folk in question are
concerned, since they already know everything, they can be VERY difficult to
train. (I'm aware of the existence of exceptions, but they are not the ones
making laughingstocks of their respective IT groups, so they do not occupy
as prominent a place in my consciousness)

It's interesting that you align CS with engineering, since the
knowledge-gathering aspect of CS adheres better to the rhetoric and ideals
of the natural sciences ever could, due to the nature of the subject matter.

Dragging back in the original question, the CCIE somewhat affirms the
ability to perform hands-on work and apply concepts in unfamiliar contexts
with success slightly quicker than random trial and error generally produce
in a vendor-specific state-space. Its ameliorative influence upon your
career is somewhat dependent upon Cisco's success, IT's success and your
personal goals. I see high level networking jobs where a masters in computer
science is a prerequisite for having your resume read  (very effecient,
since it reveals two things: that human resource folk still misunderstand
that you can sneak by a CS program without an acceptable understanding of
how electrical patterns present on one computing device can magically be
made to replicate themselves on a remote computing device through the
wonders of networking, and that the employer in question is explicitly
choosing to use a filter that will quickly reduce the numbers of resumes
that have to actually be read, even though that might rule out some of the
best candidates). Whether or not the hands-on and advanced conceptual
knowledge are relevant to higher-level jobs is industry & even company
dependent, but you can bet that if a company can make it irrelevant so that
they don't have to compensate you for that knowledge, they will. An MBA is
supposed to provide you with the cognitive wherewithal to lead the overall
success of business efforts, which in many cases requires leaders to delve
into profoundly non-technical issues. If, following the completion of your
desired course of study, you wish to deal with people & financial issues
outright, by all means go for the MBA. The situation (besides, of course,
hands-on) where not having a CCIE might hurt you is if you have to lead a
team of them, and your role requires you to understand issues at their level
in order to communicate with them or make successful customer-related
decisions.