Well...the branches dont have more than 24 hosts, including the server. all
branches with the exception of the main branch only consist of one novell
5.1 server, one 24 port wc-2950-24, and a 1720 router that connects the
branches to our main branch, which then go to the datacenter through a 2620.
we have nothing to do with the routers as the data center suppllies the
support and config for the routers.

the main branch has 10 switches. mainly 2950-24's but we also have 2
2950-48g's and a 3508 to connect a few switches via fiber gigbit. i did port
fast all of the client ports on all of the switches. im also hearing bad
things about STP. A co-worker has been saying that in his experience with
intel? and hp? switches that STP was a horrible thing to have on. of course
cisco says to keep it on. we dont have redundant links in our network so how
important is it? our datacenter says that it may also be affecting the
routers?

So far this group has been awesome with some very useful info. i hope one
day i can help as much as you guys/gals do!

thanks again

Luis

""Luis Wiedemann""  wrote in message
> hey all,
> im new to the newsgroup, nad pretty new to real workd cisco. my experience
> comes mainly from reading cisco press and sybex books along with a few
> virtual labs. now im consulting for a small bank that just implemented a
> swicthed network from thier old stacked hubs. everything is going OK but i
> still feel that the network may be a bit laggy. not sure if its the
switches
> or what, so my real question is.... what are the first things you do when
> confuring a new switch? I know I run the setup and configure IP, Netmask ,
> Default GW etc....we dont have any redundant links, so should i disable
STP?