It sure sounds like your servers have enough power to handle 100 users
(dual 1333 MHz processors). But if you are really concerned about
performance, you'll want to do more investigation. The software could be
slow. As I mentioned, with a sniffer you can often pinpoint the probable
cause of slowness. Sometimes, it's a layer 8 problem (whiny users ;-)

I wanted to comment on this statement you made: "Sniffer always seems to
get the frame type wrong. we're using 802.2 and it always says 802.3 frames!"

A sniffer just tells you what it sees. Unless you're using some truly awful
analyzer software (not Network Associates), it's not lying. You may want to
verify the configuration of frame types on all servers, routers, clients.

Maybe you're just misunderstanding what the sniffer is saying, though. A
standard IEEE 802.3 frame has an 802.3 and 802.2 header. Network Associates
calls this an 802.3 frame. (Look inside these packets to see if there's
also an 802.2 header present.) Novell calls this an ETHERNET_802.2 frame.
Cisco calls is a SAP frame. WildPackets EtherPeek calls is an IEEE 802.3
LSAP frame! Most of the world, though, just considered it an typical 802.3
frame. Be wary of Novell terminology.

A Novell "raw" frame has just an IEEE 802.3 header, with no 802.2 header.
Network Associates calls this a Novell Proprietary frame. Novell calls it a
ETHERNET_802.3 frame. Cisco calls is a novell-ether frame. WildPackets
calls is an IEEE 802.3 IPX frame! This frame type is only used on older
Novell implementations and only Novell would call it an 802.3 frame. The
rest of the world knows that IEEE requires an 802.2 header to follow an
802.3 header.

Cisco has some pictures of frames here, if this has confused you. In this
document they call the Novell raw format "802.3-Only Encapsulation."

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/encheat.html

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com