You could have some duplex mismatches. Do a clear counters then do a show
int  awhile later. Look for collisions and input output errors. There
shouldn't be much, look for high errors rates. Then play with duplex/speed
settings then check for errors again, maybe you may need to replace a couple
cables to reduce errors.

""Luis Wiedemann""  wrote in message
> hey all,
> im new to the newsgroup, nad pretty new to real workd cisco. my experience
> comes mainly from reading cisco press and sybex books along with a few
> virtual labs. now im consulting for a small bank that just implemented a
> swicthed network from thier old stacked hubs. everything is going OK but i
> still feel that the network may be a bit laggy. not sure if its the
switches
> or what, so my real question is.... what are the first things you do when
> confuring a new switch? I know I run the setup and configure IP, Netmask ,
> Default GW etc....we dont have any redundant links, so should i disable
STP?