Actually, having not ever sat the Lab, Howard does not place himself in an
awkward position with respect to the NDA.  Furthermore, as you point out,
his labs may tend to lean toward practicality instead of being purely lab
oriented which in my opinion, is an excellent thing given once you
eventually pass the test, you'll need to apply best practises principles
which you may not otherwise have learned.

Pete