At 09:06 PM 4/29/02, Chuck wrote:
>in the old days of vlan switching, there was serious discussion of using
>vlans to separate traffic by protocol. set up ports 1,3 and 5 as IP and
>ports 2,4, and 6 as IPX. More importantly, put all those renegade AppleTalk
>users on their own VLAN so their traffic doesn't bother people with real
>work to do ( ;-> )

AppleTalk traffic doesn't bother other people. AppleTalk devices don't
broadcast; they multicast, and they don't do that very often. AppleTalk
routers and servers don't ever broadcast (or multicast) service
announcements like they do in an IPX environment. And the Chooser doesn't
broadcast either. A Mac sends a unicast packet to a router when the user
pulls up the Chooser. The router figures out which networks are in the zone
and forwards the unicast. The recipient routers then multicast. And, no,
this doesn't repeat forever at short intervals. Since Mac OX 7.0 (1989) the
Mac has backed off on the unicasts it sends to start the process.

You knew you would push one of my buttons, didn't you? ;-)

As far as IPX traffic, it's not really that bad either, but the SAP
broadcasts can get excessive. There are many ways to keep them contained,
if that's what the poster had in mind. I think he better give us more info
on what he's trying to accomplish.

Hopefully he didn't just buy into the BS that "IPX is chatty" (the same BS
that you hear about AppleTalk. ;-) You want chatty, watch a Windows machine
running NetBIOS and SMB boot!

Priscilla

>  I don't know if there is serious talk of this any more.
>
>Is this kinda what you had in mind?
>
>Chuck
>

>""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What are some good ways to separate IP and IPX traffic on a LAN?
> >
> > --
> >
> > RFC 1149 Compliant.
> > Get in my head:
> > http://sar.dynu.com