This is how I used to setup 3com 3500's.  They could not do wire speed
ip/ipx if they were on the same interface.  so for every layer 3 network,
you would actualy have two interfaces.  Both of which would go back to the
same vlan on the core switch.  of course, at layer two, all the frames are
still traversing the same equipment, so unless you are using older gear
(such as the 3500) it's kinda silly to set things up that way.

Unless you just want to compare port utilization for ip/ipx...?  And sniffer
pro does that quite nicely...  :)

my $.02

-Patrick

>>> Chuck  04/29/02 09:06PM >>>
in the old days of vlan switching, there was serious discussion of using
vlans to separate traffic by protocol. set up ports 1,3 and 5 as IP and
ports 2,4, and 6 as IPX. More importantly, put all those renegade AppleTalk
users on their own VLAN so their traffic doesn't bother people with real
work to do ( ;-> )  I don't know if there is serious talk of this any more.

Is this kinda what you had in mind?

Chuck

""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> What are some good ways to separate IP and IPX traffic on a LAN?
>
> --
>
> RFC 1149 Compliant.
> Get in my head:
> http://sar.dynu.com
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.