"nrf"  wrote in message
> Bullshi*.  There are a significant number of guys lately who've passed the
> lab who I wouldn't hesitate to call "paper" (heck, even they have honestly
> referred to themselves as paper, usually after getting a few drinks into
> them).

Significant?  Help me understand the extent to which you use that word?  If
you're a proctor for CCIE labs and saw people day in and day out, then I
would take your word for it.....  I have yet to take the lab, but I'm trying
to understand how someone could make it through the lab and still be
considered "paper".....  Is the lab that big of a joke?  Consider it's very
high fail rate, I can't see it being sooooo easy that people can't pass
without understanding what they're doing?   At least to the same level that
anyone else who ever passed the lab did....  Personally I use paper to mean
someone with a cert that doesn't have any hands-on to match it....  like
paper MSCE.. I worked with this kid who was 19, has his MSCE, CNE, and
Master CNE, but had zero hands on.... definitely paper...  but we're talking
the CCIE lab here..... it's simply not possible (IMHO) to pass the lab
without at least a minimum of hands-on (whether in a job or on practice
equipment) to give one the skills to pass.

> But I do agree with the premise that the main reason for the devaluing of
> the cert is the bad economy, and the lab-rats are a lesser consideration
> (still important, but lesser).  But on the other hand, I think it is the
> case that the CCIE will probably never attain the status that it once did,
> simply because the we will probably never see another huge network
buildout
> orgy  like the dotcom boom again in our lifetime.  So while I believe the
> networking industry will get better, people who thinks it's going to get
> back to, say, 1999, are just deluding themselves.

Agreed....  I don't thik we'll see things back like there were a couple of
years ago.  But I'm trying to draw a fine distinction between the devaluing
of a cert (due to shoddy cert process) -vs- the salary that one pulls in
with the cert.  The CCIEs now (in general) don't make and probably in the
future won't make what CCIEs of two years ago did.  Is this a devaluation of
the cert.  Certainly not.  That's the market.... that's the economy....  I
don't believe that has much to do with whether employers and network
professionals "value" the certification (i.e. consider someone with CCIE to
be a true expert in networking).