Inline

""Henry D.""  wrote in message
> I agree with all of the people that because of the economy
> most CCIE's won't see big salaries from few years back.
> I also agree that "paper" CCIE doesn't really compare to
> a "paper" MCSE, SCSA or whatever else. A CCIE needs
> to have some hands-on. The problem is that lab testing has little
> to do with real life environment. On top of that, there is so much
> info out there on what's being tested on the lab that people have much
> work cut down for them to pass the tests. This creates a limit of what
> you really need to know for the lab and how you get to that level,
> this limit however is not how a CCIE will be judged in real life
> environment.

Exactly.  You can be the greatest lab-guy in the world and absolutely bomb
in the real world.

What you have stated is the very reason why I am loathe to use the term
"paper"-CCIE, because there really is no such thing.  On the other hand,
there is absolutely and positively such a thing as a lab-rat CCIE (meaning a
guy who holds the cert but has no or limited practical real-world networking
experience).

> So, yes the salaries are gone, and yes there are some CCIE's who will have
> trouble designing a "simple" network. I think as long as people don't
cheat
> themselves they will know whether they are worthy of this certification.
> You need to take a look at yourself and forget about the little paper you
> put on the wall or on your cubicle. The paper means nothing, it's what's
in
> you what really counts. And as far as that goes you can still make a
> great living being a CCIE !

I think it's more accurate to say that you can still make a good living as a
networking engineer, which may or may not include the CCIE.  Again, like you
said, it's really the knowledge that counts, not what pieces of paper you
may have.  Again, I know quite a few CCIE's, especially lab-rat ones, who
can't find networking work.   When you say "...you can still make a great
living being a CCIE ", I know what you're getting at, but taking that quote
at face-value without reading the surrounding context perpetuates the myth
that all you need to do is pass that lab-exam and all of a sudden all these
dollars and job offers will come pouring out of the sky.  It's just not like
that - at least, not anymore,

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/jobs/JobAgent?rm=jobdetail&req_id=703608&keywo