Whether this is good or bad news for candidates is difficult to say.  The
real question is what they are going to replace it with.  I always saw those
removed topics as "gimme" points.  For example now they could start asking
super-funky voice or ATM questions.  Or they could accelerate the move to
12.2, which has a host of new complex features.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/625/ccie/ccie_program/whatsnew.html#18