Because it's a low-price switch that supports:

------(from cisco's website)------
Key Enterprise Features

Allows you to deploy network-wide intelligent services with the simplicity
of traditional LAN switching
Extends a set of Layer 2-to-Layer 4 features in Cisco IOS. Software- IP
routing, QoS, rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and multicast
services- to the edge
Simplifies access layer and small backbone deployment with the embedded
Cisco Cluster Management Suite Software
Delivers powerful Gigabit Ethernet connectivity with a full suite of Gigabit
Interface Converter (GBIC) devices
Key Metro Access Benefits

Provides service breadth through high-performance IP routing, 802.1Q
tunneling, advanced QoS, and rate limiting
Delivers service availability and security through Spanning Tree Protocol
enhancements and ACLs
Enables service management through Cisco IE 2100 Series Intelligence Engine
support and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

thanks,
-Brad Ellis
CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]