No problem ... splitting hairs is how technical people work. :)

Your interpretation is correct.

The only actual difference between the SMI and EMI switches is the
software loaded on them.  Everything else is a matter of licensing.

This has been done before with 1900 and 2900XL switches - the "Standard
Edition" and "Enterprise Edition" software.  They stopped it with the
2900XL, and just made all newer versions Enterprise.  The 1900 still has
the distinction, but if it's not EOS/EOL already, it will be soon.

It's similar to Router IOS -- When you purchase a router with IP only
IOS, it's perfectly possible to download and install Enterprise/FW Plus
IPSEC 3DES (provided you have enough memory).  Doing so without paying
Cisco for the software license is illegal.

Thanks,
Shawn

jeff sicuranza wrote:

> Thanks Shawn. I know this is splitting hairs but I just wanted to clarify a
> few things so folks on this board and myself are clear on the policy and we
> do not end up in Cisco jail, purchase the wrong switch options or damage
the
> switch by loading the wrong software.
>
>  So what you are saying is that the file listed on CCO is the CD-3550-EMI=
> upgrade? Correct?
>
>  If you buy a switch with just SMI installed but do have a CCO contract,
but
> it(the CCO account) does not cover the 3550 "entitlement" you can still
> download the file and install it, (it will work??)but you are doing
> something illegal?  Correct?
>
> The above scenario also applies to someone who buys the switch used with
SMI
> installed and "borrowed" someones CCO account, regardless of account
> "entitlement" status, downloads the software and upgrades their switch.
This