""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
> At 8:03 PM -0400 6/30/02, Chuck wrote:
> >""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>  At 8:44 PM -0400 6/29/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >>  >At 12:49 PM 6/29/02, Michael L. Williams wrote:
> >>  >>I have successfully used both an "all-zeros" and an "all-ones"
subnet
> on
> >>  >>Windows 9x.  (192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.255.0/24)  Works fine.
> >>  >
> >>  >Those aren't subnets, though, since it's class C.
> >>  >
> >>  >Priscilla
> >>
> >>  Ah, Priscilla, Priscilla, Priscilla.  And all along I respected you
> >>  because I thought your design thinking had no class.
> >>
> >>  It would be accurate to say 192/8 is the traditional Class C space,
> >
> >CL: 192/3?  "Class C"  space includes anything from 192/8 through 223/8
Am I
> >constructing the CIDR block correctly?
>
> Strictly, yes. But there are historical issues here.  192/8 was the
> only part widely assigned before there was concern about address
> exhaustion, and today is called "the swamp", with that part of 192/8
> greater than /24 called the "toxic waste dump".  At the start of the
> CIDR effort, the swamp took up 50% of the routing table, and the
> toxic waste dump took up 50% of the swamp.

CL: asking because I don't know enough to figure it out for myself, but is
there danger of something similar happening with the allocations out of the
former "A" space? Or are the registries and the ISP's now getting slots here
working things such that summarization is easily done?

CL: ( quickly looking up a couple of things on ARIN.net ) answered my own
question. Neet!!! :->