VERY STRONG RECOMMENDATION:

call a couple of experienced integrators and start the education process.
You want as much input as possible - this is not something you want to even
dream about doing if you and your organization do not have solid VoIP
experience.  some VARs may be willing to do an on site pilot. to do it
right, expect a process as long a 18 months.

In general, the answers for you are yes, yes, yes.  AVVID works and works
well. it may take a lot of tweaking and constant monitoring. an organization
like yours most definitely wants to do things in parallel, to replace dial
tone with AVVID in planned phases.

got bucks? 'cuz AVVID can be pricey. All your costs are up front. Unless you
have extensive toll bypass possibilities, the only place you will see any
real savings is cost of MAC work over time.

best wishes