Larry, I'm only beating this dead horse for the CCNA/ beginner  types on the
list, who really do need to learn to distinguish between the function of a
route summary versus the practicality of subnetting classful networks such
that subnet zero becomes an issue.

while I wouldn't bet the house on it, I suspect that even on Cisco tests,
there would not be question about summarization where the subnet zero, all
ones subnet count ( 2^n-2) would be the right answer. ( although I would not
be surprised to see this in some of the study materials, given what I know
about how quality control is valued with certain publishers. ) I was more
concerned that it became a point of disagreement during the course of this
thread, indicating that there were some who did not understand the "why" of
things.

Is ip subnet-zero enabled by default now? Which IOS release? Last I checked
( command reference for 12.2 ) the default was still "disabled"  IP
classless is now enabled by default, but not subnet-zero. this could have
changed. the docs on CCO tend to be a bit behind reality.

Chuck