""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> No wonder you are a bit lost. They aren't using our networking terminology
> quite correctly. There's no such thing as a broadcast port and hence you
> can't open it. Perhaps what they mean is that you need to get the router
> forward the IP broadcasts to UDP port 42508. Do this with an ip
> helper-address on the incoming interface. Tell the router to forward the
> packets to a specific address or a broadcast address, depending on your
> needs. Make sure you are specific regarding which packets to forward by
> using the ip forward-protocol and no ip forward-protocol commands.
Otherwise
> the router will forward TFTP, DNS, NTP, NetBIOS, DHCP, and TACACS and not
> the packets in question. (The app does use UDP I hope? I don't this works
> for TCP-based traffic.)
>
> It doesn't sound like a very well-behaved application. I wonder why it has
> to use broadcasts? But, application developers often don't know
networking.
> Argh. ;-)

CL: off topic, but I finally got my OpNet upgrade installed today. failed
several times because...... OpNet demands that the license registration take
place over the web, and for some reason their web server and my employer's
firewall aboslutely hated eachother. Once I plugged my laptop directly to
the 'net, the licences registration went perfectly.

CL: I mention this only becasue of your comment about well behaved
applications. These days, with unlimited bandwidth, I wonder if it is even
worth the fight about well behave apps and security conscious vendors. About
the only reason I am even bothering with OpNet is because it has a decent
simulation component, and it is my intention to learn how to bang out some
bandwidth simulations to show the relative merits of 256K internet access
versus full T1 internet access. Last time I did one of these sims ( a couple
of years ago ) the software indicated there wasn't much merit at all. I'm
curis to see if they OpNet has become a bit more sophisticated and if so,
what that might mean for their conclusions.