""nrf""  wrote in message
> Let me just add that while I agree that things like LANE are dying, ATM
over
> WAN is an extraordinarily important service in the sense that WAN ATM, as
> opposed to IP, actually generates profits (and significant profits at
that)
> for the provider.   Practically every provider right now is losing money
> from IP services in general, and Internet access in particular.  Carrier
> profits from data continue to be made from old-school services like ATM,
FR
> and the like.  And, just like any other business, carriers will invest in
> what makes them profits and disinvest in what doesn't.

CL: speaking from the telco sales side, I find that there is a lot more
flexibility available with ATM for many network applications. You can do
frame relay to ATM ( FRATM ) and DSL to ATM ( my employer calls this service
"RLAN") Yes gigabit services are coming in. But at the moment hub and spoke
gigbit services can be pricy, and the hub site needs lots of rack space for
the equipment, and more gig port capability, which costs extra, when
compared to something like DS3 or lower end OC connections.

CL: also, ATM is not really that difficut to deal with in most situations.
It works the same way as frame relay. there is a new vocabulary you have to
learn. many telco people don't understand what they are selling you. in
turn, most customers don't know what to ask. the ATM alphabet soup is
overwhelming at first.

CL: but really, as a telco customer, you can get into it pretty easily, and
use it effectively for voice and data. The real tough ATM stuff is on the
telco switch side. unless you are buying dark fiber and running your own ATM
network, using ATM switches, you needn't concern yourself with most of those
issues.

> ""YASSER ALY""  wrote in message
> > I do agree with this. ATM is a vanishing technology over LANs afer the
> > GigEthernet came to the world. The only reason for ATM to survive would
> > be using ATM over WAN.
> >
> > Save your time and effort and don't get into LANE headache.
> >
> > >From: "MADMAN" > >Hopefully none!!! > > ATM is mostly dead in the LAN
> > with the advent of 100/1000M ethernet >and 10G starting to trickle out.
>
> > > I know someone will point out and exception but it will be the
> > >exception not the rule. > > Just say no!! to LANE > > Dave > >Ken
Chipps