At least in the past it could be cost effective for a telephone customer to
have a telephone with a number from a remote location. Usually because they
made many numbers to phones located near that remote location. Such calls
were considered local calls. So the savings in long distance charges were
greater than the cost of the dedicated link from the Foreign Exchange to
their office. So the FX part means Foreign Exchange i.e. the source of dial
tone is not the local Central Office (CO). S is station - the telephone. O
is office - the remote CO.

All this dates to the days of electro-mechanical telephone switches when all
the gee whiz tricks done by computer didn't exist. The "routing table" was
wire wrapped on each switch.