I agree that it doesn't sound like an MTU problem. There are often problems
with MTU when DSL, VPNs, tunnels, etc. are used, so people might jump to
that conclusion. But e-mail messages are often very short and would easily
fit into most MTUs even after overhead. To test whether it's an MTU problem,
try some oversized pings.

The MTU issue occurs when a full-sized packet arrives at an interface that
needs to squeeze it into an MTU along with the overhead. The interface could
fragment, but maybe the application or transport layer set the Don't
Fragment bit. Quite a few applications do that as part of their MTU
discovery process. The problem is made worse if there's an access list that
is blocking the ICMP "Fragmentation required but DF bit set" message.

Here's a Cisco article on MTU:

This isn't a criticism of the original poster, who was already doubting the
people who told him it was an MTU problem, but it does give me a chance to
get on my soapbox about troubleshooting methods. A lot of people
troubleshoot using the technique we learned in grade school to match items
from Column A with items from Column B. ;-) Column A has network types and
Column B has most common problem for network type. It's important to know
about common problems, but it's just as important to gather data, research
symptoms, and use logic and reasoning.

Cisco's troubleshooting method really does work:

1. Define the problem.
2. Gather facts.
3. Consider possibilities.
4. Create an action plan.
5. Implement the action plan.
6. Observe the results.
7. Do problem symptoms stop?

If no, go back to 4 or possibly to 2.
If yes, problem resolved, document the results.

OK, off my soapbox now!  :-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com