Jim Brown wrote:

> I belong to the CheckPoint list server and a very similar
> discussion is
> happening over there referencing Outlook over a VPN between
> CheckPoint
> firewalls.
>
> Could this problem be related to Tunnel overhead and packet
> fragmentation?
>
> I think this might be a problem with Microsoft's implementation
> of the
> TCP/IP stack and large packets over 1500 MTU.

Earlier in the discussion, we doubted this because why would just Outlook
have a problem? E-mail is less likely to be large than HTTP, FTP, extended
pings, etc. But there does seem to be a lot of anectdotal evidence that MTU
is somehow related, so maybe worth testing. More below.....

> Outlook might not
> be very
> happy with fragmentation.
>
> There is a registry setting for the end station that forces the
> MTU to
> 576 for any packets not destined for the local subnet.
>
> This is cut and pasted from
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314053
>
> EnablePMTUDiscovery
> Key: Tcpip\Parameters
> Value Type: REG_DWORD - Boolean
> Valid Range: 0,1 (False, True)
> Default: 1 (True)

Interesting that this is TRUE by default. Explains the fact that most
traffic seems to have the DF bit set. They set the DF bit, never get back an
ICMP Frag Needed But DF Bit Set, so just keep sending with that size and
never bother to unset the DF bit.

> attempt to
> discover the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU or largest packet
> size) over
> the path to a remote host. By discovering the Path MTU and
> limiting TCP
> segments to this size, TCP can eliminate fragmentation at
> routers along
> the path that connect networks with different MTUs.
> Fragmentation
> adversely affects TCP throughput and network congestion.
> Setting this
> parameter to 0 causes an MTU of 576 bytes to be used for all
> connections
> that are not to computers on the local subnet.
>
> EnablePMTUBHDetect
> Key: Tcpip\Parameters
> Value Type: REG_DWORD - Boolean
> Valid Range: 0,1 (False, True)
> Default: 0 (False)
> try to
> detect "Black Hole" routers while doing Path MTU Discovery. A
> "Black
> Hole" router does not return ICMP Destination Unreachable
> messages when
> it needs to fragment an IP datagram with the Don't Fragment bit
> set. TCP
> depends on receiving these messages to perform Path MTU
> Discovery. With
> this feature enabled, TCP will try to send segments without the
> Don't
> Fragment bit set if several retransmissions of a segment go
> unacknowledged. If the segment is acknowledged as a result, the
> MSS will
> be decreased and the Don't Fragment bit will be set in future
> packets on
> the connection. Enabling black hole detection increases the
> maximum
> number of retransmissions performed for a given segment.
>
> Anyone willing to modify their end station to force an MTU of
> 576 and
> discovery of "blackholes" and report the results.

That wouldn't be the logical test. There's no need to discover black holes
unles MTU discovery IS used.

So two tests to try would be:

1) MTU discovery off (which forces all packets to be 576 bytes, which would
be awful for performance, but OK for a test)
Black hole discovery off (irrelevant, but might as well be off)

and

MTU disocvery on
Black hole discovery on also

> It would be most insightful to see the pre and post registry
> network
> sniffer traces of Outlook traffic.

I agree that sniffer traces are probably going to be necessary to debug this
problem! I look forward to hearing a resolution.

Gotta get back to work, myself, though. ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com