Again, not claiming to know a lot of ATM, but certainly understanding telcos
who don't configure their part correctly......

does your carrier use ILMI at all? if so, you could set up ILMI and then do
a debug to see what the telco is sending you.

I'm trying to recall if there is a downside to doing a debug atm events of
debug atm packet. seems to me I've locked up routers issuing one or the
other of those. debug atm packet will show you activity links to pvc's -
which in turn can tell you if anything other than keepalives are happening.

as with frame relay dlci's, atm vpi / vci numbers are locally significant.
I've done a number of RLAN's now ( DSL to ATM ) and the telco I work for has
a convention such that anything from the DSLAM to the customer prem is pvc
0/35 and from the host ATM side the PVC represents a particular DSLAM and a
particular port on that DSLAM. 2/27 would be DSLAM 2, port 27, etc. just
about every problem I've encountered on an RLAN is the result of
misconfiguration at the DSL / ATM handoff.

best wishes