Hey BJ,

Its all about IP.  Basically the softphone has a config button where you can
specify your 'source' ip in a drop down of bound addresses.  I usually just
make sure the IP associated with the RAS connection is selected (purely for
the audio stream), then the IP phone will register with CM (because it is
programmed with the IP of CM), and CM will recognize and record the source
ip of the phone.

When CM sets up a call between two endpoints, it notifies each of the phones
of the other's IP, handles the codec negotiation, etc, then steps out of the
conversation and the two endpoint's RTP streams go direct.

Now, if you're referring to Locations as they relate to CM, and not physical
Locations, that's a different ball game.  Locations in CM are used for CAC
(call admission control) to limit how much bandwidth is used on the wan
between sites or internal on the lan for a site (unfortunately there's no
distinction between them).  Personally, I haven't used this in production
yet.  What little I've played with it in the lab, I really didn't like the
implementation in CM.  I think they've got a little ways to go before this
will be solid. Just my opinion, of course.

Hope this helps,
Vance

""B.J. Wilson""  wrote in message
> Hi Vance -
>
>     I too am studying All Things VoIP, and I'm curious how this would
work.
> Say you have User A trying to call User B.  User B is currently in the
> office.  So User A dials '1111' which is User B's phone number (or "route
> pattern" if you want to be specific).  CallManager picks up the route
> pattern, looks up User B's location, and forwards the call on.  All is
good.
>     Now, say User B is telecommuting.  How does CallManager know this?
How
> does your RAS (remote access) server notify CM that User B's geographical
> location has moved?  Is there something in User B's RAS (Registration,
> Admission and Status) setup that alerts CM to the fact that they're
dialing
> in from home?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     BJ