Priscilla,
Thanks. High praise considering the source.   ;-)
The reason the telephone number is mapped to the MAC is so that the
number follows the DEVICE on the network. Please note that I stated that
the IP phone "identified" itself to the CM by announcing its MAC address.
If you leave Extension Mobility out of the equation, it is a pretty
ironclad way to guarantee that the phone number assigned to the phone
will be consistent even if the phone moves to a new network segment, ANY
network segment that can route IP traffic to the CallManager.
Bruce

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  Great answer. Finally an explanation that makes sense for the marketing
  babble about IP Telephony making Moves, Adds, and Changes easier. ;-)

  One quesiton though, does CallManager really care about MAC addresses?
  Unless the receiving phone is on the same network segment as the calling
  phone, the MAC address won't help matters. ARP would take care of getting
  the MAC when it's needed.

  Priscilla

  Bruce Enders wrote:

    B. J.
    The only trick here is to remember that the User phone number
    "1111" is
    "mapped" to the MAC address and IP address of the ethernet
    interface
    associated with the hard phone, or the laptop in the case of
    Softphone.
    (Both are PCs running specific applications software). Whenever
    either is
    disconnected from the network long enough for link to drop,
    they have to
    check in with DHCP when they are re-connected to the network.
    Both also
    have to check in with their CallManager. During that process,
    they
    identify themselves using their MAC address, and announce their
    current
    IP address. After that, the CM can simply forward based on the
    IP
    address. This capability is one of the primary reasons that
    Moves, Adds,
    and Changes in an IP Telephony system are far more simple than
    in a
    legacy PBX environment. (The logic behind your response sounds
    like it
    comes from the legacy telephone world, which is very used to
    working in a
    very static addressing environment).
    Bruce

    B.J. Wilson wrote:

      Hi Vance -

          I too am studying All Things VoIP, and I'm curious how
    this would work.
      Say you have User A trying to call User B.  User B is
    currently in the
      office.  So User A dials '1111' which is User B's phone
    number (or "route
      pattern" if you want to be specific).  CallManager picks up
    the route
      pattern, looks up User B's location, and forwards the call
    on.  All is good.
          Now, say User B is telecommuting.  How does CallManager
    know this?  How
      does your RAS (remote access) server notify CM that User B's
    geographical
      location has moved?  Is there something in User B's RAS
    (Registration,
      Admission and Status) setup that alerts CM to the fact that
    they're dialing
      in from home?

          Thanks,

          BJ