Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Sim, CT (Chee Tong) wrote:
> >
> > Hi..  I have a friend staying in the hostel room which has a
> > wall port
> > (RJ45) link to the internet.  As there are two persons (two
> PC)
> > staying in
> > that room.  So they bought a cable splitter.  (one side with
> > one female RJ45
> > jack and another side with two female RJ45 jack).  So that two
> > PCs can
> > connect to internet at the same time,
>
> Are you sure it's Ethernet at your friend's hostel? Maybe it's
> ISDN or something?? Someone will correct me if that's a dumb
> statement. :-)
>
> If it was Ethernet, the only way it could have worked is if the
> second pair happened to go to another switch port. You can't
> turn one switch port into two simply by splitting the cable.
>
> As Chuck said, buy a hub. A 4-port hub is really cheap (at
> least in the U.S!? ;-)
>
> Priscilla

 It's probably a hub in the hostel.  I seem to recall occasionally using an
RJ-45 splitter on my wall jack when we still used hubs.  I had my PC in one
port of the physical splitter and my laptop in the other.  It was, in
essence, a physical hub tied to an electrical one.  I'm not saying this was
a good thing to do for any length of time.  But it did, on the surface,
appear to work.

What I never bothered to find out was whether or not the hub actually
returned what I was transmitting on the receive pair.  A lot of text books
tell us that the NIC internally bridges its transmit to its receive so that
it can detect a collision.  I accept that.  But I'm not sure if there is a
reason why the hub wouldn't have repeated back on the same port that was
being transmitted on?  I wonder that, because if it had, it would have
prevented collisions between the two machines tied to the physical
splitter.  Otherwise, I imagine I caused a lot of collisions between the
two, since neither would know when the other was transmitting (I never
realized how much background traffic an idle Windows machine can generate
until I started doing some packet captures while reading your latest book).

Now that I think about it, there is one good reason a hub wouldn't repeat
back on the transmitting port:  the propagation delay might make the
comeback copy look like an entirely different transmission (i.e. a
collision).  I'm sure there are other good reasons too.

Or maybe I dreamt the whole thing...