On Mar 8,  6:25pm, "Priscilla Oppenheimer" wrote:
} Sim, CT (Chee Tong) wrote:
} >
} > Hi..  I have a friend staying in the hostel room which has a wall port
} > (RJ45) link to the internet.  As there are two persons (two PC) staying
in
} > that room.  So they bought a cable splitter.  (one side with one female
RJ45
} > jack and another side with two female RJ45 jack).  So that two PCs can
} > connect to internet at the same time,
}
} Are you sure it's Ethernet at your friend's hostel? Maybe it's ISDN or
} something?? Someone will correct me if that's a dumb statement. :-)

     There are a number of hotels that are starting to provide Ethernet
jacks in the rooms.  Especially ones that cater to business
travellers.  I've nevered heard of a hotel using ISDN.  I wouldn't
think it would be cost effective.  Also, if it was ISDN, I would have
expected an ISDN telephone to be plugged into it.

} If it was Ethernet, the only way it could have worked is if the second pair
} happened to go to another switch port. You can't turn one switch port into
} two simply by splitting the cable.

     Although, you can do this, I wouldn't advise it except in cases
where it would be very difficult to run additional cable.  Also, if
this was the case, I would expect the hotel to provide the splitter, or
better yet, install a dual outlet jack.

} As Chuck said, buy a hub. A 4-port hub is really cheap (at least in the

     I think I said that.  I don't know about the US, but in Canada,
you can buy a cheap mini-hub for less then $50 CDN (I haven't been
following the price lately, since it is getting to the point where I
expect hubs to disappear from the market to be replaced by cheap
switches {small dumb switches are starting to get really cheap}).

}-- End of excerpt from "Priscilla Oppenheimer"