On Mar 8,  7:00pm, "Priscilla Oppenheimer" wrote:
} [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Nemeth) wrote:
} > On Mar 8,  6:25pm, "Priscilla Oppenheimer" wrote:
} > } Sim, CT (Chee Tong) wrote:
} > } >
} > } > Hi..  I have a friend staying in the hostel room which has
} > a wall port
} > } > (RJ45) link to the internet.  As there are two persons (two
} > PC) staying in
} > } > that room.  So they bought a cable splitter.  (one side
} > with one female RJ45
} > } > jack and another side with two female RJ45 jack).  So that
} > two PCs can
} > } > connect to internet at the same time,
} > }
} > } Are you sure it's Ethernet at your friend's hostel? Maybe
} > it's ISDN or
} > } something?? Someone will correct me if that's a dumb
} > statement. :-)
} >
} >      There are a number of hotels that are starting to provide
} > Ethernet
} > jacks in the rooms.  Especially ones that cater to business
} > travellers.  I've nevered heard of a hotel using ISDN.
}
} I have stayed at hotels that offer ISDN, especially overseas. I wasn't

     I've never been overseas, so my thinking tends to be somewhat
constrained to what would be found in North America.  Now that you
mention it, I do realise that ISDN is a lot more popular overseas then
it is in North America.

} curious about whether hotels or hostels (he actually said hostels) might

     I wouldn't expect hostels to provide much at all in the way of
amenities given the price points for which they aim.

} provide ISDN. I was curious about whether you could somehow break out an
} ISDN interface into 2. Once again, sorry if it's a stupid question.

     An ISDN S/T bus can support up to eight devices connected in
parallel, so yes this would be a valid thing to do with an ISDN
connection.  The devices are distinguished by their TEIs (Terminal
Endpoint Identifiers).  Of course, ISDN is not compatible with Ethernet
in any way, so plugging an Ethernet device into an ISDN jack wouldn't
work.

}-- End of excerpt from "Priscilla Oppenheimer"