Gaz wrote:

> In article ,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was just reading this document,from the following link
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/110/8.html I have attached
> the Pdf file
> > of the same for your convinence :-).
> >

> > now coming to my doubt.
> >
> > If i have a network say like 192.5.2.0/24 inside the pix
> (connecting to
> > internet) Does it mean that all the sites with 192.5.2.0/24
> would not be
> > accessible to the inside network ??

Yes. You can't use someone else's network address in your inside network and
still get to that someone else's network! :-) When your devices try to reach
192.5.2.x, they will do a logical AND with the subnet mask and see that the
result is the same as when they do a logical AND with the subnet mask and
their own address. Hence the destination is local. So they send an ARP
broadcast. They get a response from a local device or no response if the
address doesn't exist locally.

Actually, there are probably workarounds to this. It's not such a silly
requirement. In the past people did tend to make up network numbers that
actually belonged to someone else, so there is a need to get this to work. I
wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's some kludegey way of getting
this to work. It would probably only work for specific outside addresses and
only if you haven't assigned those addresses locally.

More below....

> > thanks and regards,
> > Murali

snip

> Can I chip in with a question for everyone now?
>
> If you apply more specific routes to all devices for an address
> which
> should appear on your local subnet, will it then try the routed
> path to
> the device.
>
> eg Machine addressed 100.100.100.100 255.255.255.0
> route add 100.100.100.10 mask 255.255.255.255 [default gateway]

This is a host-specific route. Operating systems should understand this and
behave correctly. Host-specific routes have been around for a long time,
like probably since the birth of IP. They solve various problems.

So I tred it on a Windows 98 PC. I added the route and then pinged the
device specified in the addition.

The PC ARPed for the default gateway and then sent the ping to the default
gateway, even though the device is really local. The default gateway sent
the packet back out the same Ethernet and the local machine replied directly
to my PC. I would have expected a redirct from the router too, but I didn't
see one.

Now, is this behavior specific to the host-specific route? I wonder if I do
something like:

route add 100.100.100.2 255.255.255.0 default gateway

Hmmmmmm

Oh, Windows 98 won't let me do that! ;-) It will only let me add a
host-specific route. Makes sense I guess. And then it does behave correctly
when I add a host-speciif route (e.g., it does what the route tells it to do.)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com