In article , [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

> > Can I chip in with a question for everyone now?
> >
> > If you apply more specific routes to all devices for an address
> > which
> > should appear on your local subnet, will it then try the routed
> > path to
> > the device.
> >
> > eg Machine addressed 100.100.100.100 255.255.255.0
> > route add 100.100.100.10 mask 255.255.255.255 [default gateway]
>
> This is a host-specific route. Operating systems should understand this and
> behave correctly. Host-specific routes have been around for a long time,
> like probably since the birth of IP. They solve various problems.
>
> So I tred it on a Windows 98 PC. I added the route and then pinged the
> device specified in the addition.
>
> The PC ARPed for the default gateway and then sent the ping to the default
> gateway, even though the device is really local. The default gateway sent
> the packet back out the same Ethernet and the local machine replied
directly
> to my PC. I would have expected a redirct from the router too, but I didn't
> see one.
>
> Now, is this behavior specific to the host-specific route? I wonder if I do
> something like:
>
> route add 100.100.100.2 255.255.255.0 default gateway
>
> Hmmmmmm
>
> Oh, Windows 98 won't let me do that! ;-) It will only let me add a
> host-specific route. Makes sense I guess. And then it does behave correctly
> when I add a host-speciif route (e.g., it does what the route tells it to
do.)

> _______________________________
>
> Priscilla Oppenheimer
> www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
> www.priscilla.com
>

> > Not that you'd want to do it, but just wondering.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Gaz

I would have thought Windows 98 would accept something like:

route add 100.100.100.240 mask 255.255.255.240 [default gateway]

I don't think there's any restriction to host routes.

I wonder though if you don't bother with the individual route on the
PC's (which you obviously wouldn't want to do on a larger scale), would
the router proxy arp for addresses which should be on it's ethernet, if
you applied a route via the serial for example.

I'll try it later, but I'm having my dinner :-))

Gaz