To some extent, I agree with both of you.  The issue, in part, is
that a large part of setting up real-world Internet connections
(e.g., address management, prefix filtering and propagation) are
"Best Common Practices" for Internet operations.  These are in no
Cisco exam of which I am aware.

Let me make a disclaimer here. I've written several books that deal
with Internet connectivity and operations, and it's a complex
discipline. The problem that Tunji is describing is really outside
the scope of the NANOG list, under the informal rule there "if it
needs configuration statements, it's out of scope."  At the same
time, there are other, more basic "ISP" lists that contain incredible
amounts of noise.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that knowing every BGP command in
its finest detail will NOT allow you to do anything sophisticated in
Internet routing.  You MUST understand routing policy including Best
Current Practices for address management, aggregation, multihoming,
prefix filtering, scalability, etc.

Perhaps it might be appropriate, if Paul has time, to set up an
internet operations list, oriented toward the enterprise rather than
the provider side.  More formal distance learning, which still would
allow studying specific requirements, also is an option, where again
I will make a commercial disclaimer that I am in various discussions
about doing such instruction/consulting.