Before leaving this doomed thread, I would like to mention that I took some
time to actually read his scenario! ;-) There aren't any complex routing
policy issues, afterall. He has only one connection to the Internet, the
radio link to the ISP.

Perhaps what triggered a policy discussion was his hope that he could get
the ISP to assign a new set of global or private addresses to the radio
link, change routing entries, use unnumbered, use VLANs, etc. It's probably
naive to think you'll get an ISP to do all that? They don't change things
for a customer's scenario without a lot of persuasion, especially when the
scenario isn't actually non-standard.

I think you are doing the right thing, Tunji, to find a solution that only
affects your configurations rather than trying to get the ISP to adapt to you.

If I understand it correctly, your situation boils down to having two
networks behind the ISP-facing router instead of one: A network between the
router and PIX, and the inside network on the other side of the PIX That's
no big deal. The simplest solution might be to use the global addresses on
the network between the router and the PIX and use private addresses on the
other side of the PIX.

The ISP assigned you 80.80.80.171 - 80.80.80.174. Move the prefix over to
the right (255.255.255.252) and you can divide these addresses into two
networks. Use .171 on the interface that faces the ISP and the other
addresses on the network between the router and the PIX. Use private
addressing on the inside network on the other side of the PIX. Then let just
PIX do the NATing rather than doing double NAT at the router and PIX.

This isn't the only solution, of course, and it doesn't address all the
details. I think with the right NATing and PATing and conduits on the PIX,
you could also get it to work the way you mention below and be able to ping
everything you want to ping, but it could be difficult. Also, I have the
same concern that you have with the latency associated with NATing and
PATing in two places.

By the way, here's a really silly question, but do you need the router? What
resides on that link between the router and the PIX? If ther's nothing
there, then why does it exist?

Your Internet-facing router uses Ethernet (because of the unique situation
you have with it going to a radio link of some sort), so why not just use
the PIX with its 2 Ethernet ports? Perhaps the router provides an extra
level of protection, though.

I haven't worked out the exact details as you can tell probably. Please take
all this free advice with a grain of salt. You know your network much better
than any of us do!

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com