looking at this again - question below

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

""pauldongso""  wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Please advise how STP participates in the following scenario and why STP
> fails to stop the loop?

CL: where are you seeing a look? I have configured two switches based on
what I read below. sho spanning-tree gives me the following:

Interface        Port ID                     Designated                Port
ID
Name             Prio.Nbr      Cost Sts      Cost Bridge ID
Prio.Nbr
---------------- -------- --------- --- --------- -------------------- -----
---
Fa0/1            128.1          100 FWD         0  4097 0009.b775.d400 128.1
Fa0/7            128.7          100 FWD         0  4097 0009.b775.d400 128.7

meaning that port Fa0/22 and Fa0/24 are not recognizing vlan 1 at all.

the switches both complain that there are vlan mismatches.

6d10h: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on
FastEther
net0/46 (1), with Switch_24 FastEthernet0/22 (7).
6d10h: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on
FastEther
net0/48 (1), with Switch_24 FastEthernet0/24 (8).
6d

>   --------------------
>   |switch      A      |
>   ---------------------
>    |(vlan 7)    | (vlan 8)
>    |            |
>    |            |
>    |(vlan 1)    |(vlan 1)
>   -------------------
>   | switch B         |
>   --------------------
>      vlan 1 hosts
>

> In short, switch A has two ports configured with vlan 7, vlan 8
> respectively. Swtich B all ports are at default vlan 1.
> links between swA and swB are access mode.
>
> This scenario creates bridging loop. But just can't figure out why STP
> fails to stop loop.

CL: again, I am not seeing a loop. I am seeing a problem and no way to fix
it other than to correct the vlan mismatch.

CL: you sure you don't have another trunk configured on another port?