Thanks for everyone the response.

This scenario was seen in production network.

Switch A is managed by us, Switch B is managed by client.

We don't have visibility of switch B and the client has very little
knownlodge of their own gears.

Switch B is HP 2524, according to cdp discovery.

Switch A is running ISL trunking connected with an external router.

When I did "show cdp neig", i could see switch A list itself as its own
neighbors on those two ports. Thus I guessed HP2524 must configured the
same vlan for those two adjacent ports.

Switch A spt would be PVST, switch B is MST. They should be able to
communicate via access link, according to the theory, and that was what
i saw.

Saw messages like this: (fe0/7 is on vlan 7, fe0/8 is on vlan 8)
  %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/7 relearning 1087 addrs per min
  %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/7 relearning 1065 addrs per min
  %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/8 relearning 5 addrs per min
  %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/8 relearning 9 addrs per min

Now from your lab result and what I saw,
* if SW A and SW B are both running PVST, two switch won't communicate
* if SW A and SW B are running different spanning tree types, two
switches can communicate but the function of spanning tree doesn't work
well.

Paul