On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 23:16, Larry Letterman wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> In a simpler analogy.....
> vlan 7 would be a seperate switch with a connection to the vlan 1 switch...
> vlan 8 would be a seperate switch with a connection to the vlan 1 switch..
>
> no loop exist between any part of the 3 networks....vlan 7 and 8 are
> isolated
> from each other.  So stp sees no loops between vlan 1 and either of the
> other
> vlans. if the switches are capable, do a show spantree summ, and see what
it
> replies with....

Thanks.  I'm pretty cool with the concept of vlans.

My brain immediately went to the more intesting question of non native
VLAN PVST in this case as should have been more evident from my
questions.  Assuming switch A was entirely VLAN 7 and switch B entirely
8 for example.  This would be more interesting.  Untagged traffic would
flow freely, yet STP likely wouldn't catch loops were it encoded with
VLAN IDs.