Richard Burdette wrote:

> A prep test I am using has a question for which I disagree with
> the answer.  Here is the question…
>
> If I had a Class B address, what subnet mask would I use if I
> wanted to split it into 8 class C addresses?
>

> a.255.255.240.0
> b.255.255.255.0
> c.255.255.248.0
> d.255.255.254.0
>
> The answer from the test is “c”.
>
> I think the answer is not even listed; 255.255.224.0 because to
> add eight additional subnets we need 2^3=8 bits of subnet which
> equates to 224 of mask.  Am I right or wrong?
>
> Rich

The question sucks and so do the answer choices.  Eight *addresses* per
subnet or eight subnets?  If the former, a mask of 255.255.255.248 would be
required - not 255.255.248.0.  If the latter, I'd go with you (sorta).  Or
perhaps a. if subnet zero weren't allowed for some reason (but then you'd
have 15 subnets plus subnet zero - not eight!).

Nothing you do with a subnet mask makes a class B a class C.  If it was
class B before you subnetted it, it isn't going to fall into the class C
range of addresses all of the sudden is it?  If by "class C" they mean a
subnet with 254 host addresses, your answer isn't right either.  Your
subnets (/21) would have 8190 hosts.  In that case, there isn't a valid
answer at all because a class B subnetted for 254 hosts will have somewhere
in the neighborhood of 255 subnets.

I would be wary of the "practice" test as a whole.